Normally, Guitar hero: World Tour for PC will not allow you to play the vocals mode unless you have a compatible USB microphone. but thanks to the trick I discovered, you will enjoy playing guitar hero with any headset microphone you have. Just follow the steps carefully.
This method is provided as is with no guarantees that it will work and/or effect your computer in any way.
A visitor “honhon” commented below a much easier approach to enable vocals and here it is
- right click the speaker icon near the clock and click recording devices
- double click your default Mic
- rename it to Logitech USB Mic
- save everything and start the game
to enable playing other modes again you must rename the mic to something else
If this does not work you (or if you have a version of windows other than Vista) you can try the method below
Another approach to play vocals on guitar hero world tour was discovered by “nok (nokomment)”. this method uses registry editing and it is for advanced users only:
open the registry editor and select “Find”
write the name of your original default recording device it “realtek high definition audio” in my case. but you can find the right name for your system in the “record” tab under “sound” in your control panel
rename all registry KEYS AND VALUES to exactly (case sensitive) Logitech USB Mic
check the recording tab again you should find that the default recording device is now renamed to Logitech USB Mic
Start the game and enjoy!
If this does not work for you can try the method below
1. Download a small software called VOXmorph junior, it is free! , just install it somewhere. then start it and close it.
2. Open the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Screaming Bee\MorphVOX Junior) of VOXmorph junior and find the .inf file with x64 in the name if you have a 64bit system or with x86 if you have a 32bit system, open the file.
3. in the first set of lines, look for “DriverVer =” increase the date and the version number.
4. scroll down to the end of the file and find the lines
Change these lines to
SBEE=”Logitech USB Mic”
MfgName=”Screaming Bee LLC”
SBEE_Audio.DeviceDesc=”Logitech USB Mic”
Also find the line
And modify it to
sbee_audio.SvcDesc=”Logitech USB Mic”
Save the file.
5. Open the Device manager,and find the Screaming bee driver under “Sound , Video and game controllers” right click it and select “Update driver”
6. Click browse my computer for driver softwares and then “Let me pick from a list..” then click have disk. Browse to the VOXmorph folder with the modified inf file and select it.
7. Ignore the “end of the world” warning about the driver not being signed and install it any way. the installation should work fine and your driver’s name should become Logitech USB Mic.
8. Open VOXmorph again and run the setup wizard and set your Logitech USB Mic as the default recording device. disable voice morphing and listening from the program interface and just keep it open.
9. open Guitar hero: World tour now. the vocals mode should be active now.
The down side of this trick is that after doing it you will not be able to play using your regular keyboard, only the vocals mode will be available. To restore things just disable the Logitec driver from the Device manager.
For your information the microphones that are normally supported by guitar hero: world tour for PC are:
- Mad Catz USB microphone
- PDP USB Microphone
- Headset (XBOX 360 For Windows)
- Logitech USB Mic
please report any problems you face, and if you can or can’t make it work. And please check back soon for updates.